Re: World Record Values

--- Lawrence.Gowin@domain.elided wrote:

> I've also found a Berlina that looks very nice based
> on the posted photos.
> The asking price is a market-shifting $12,500.

Heck, I'll sell you mine for half that. A *third*,
even. :-)

>  The car looks great, but the
> upholstery on the driver's seat is split.

Both front seats are perfect, and at that price I'll
get off the dime and install the new rear seats too!
Mine even comes with alloy wheels and everything...

> Does anyone know if this is the
> Berlina that was on eBay a couple months ago?
>
> http://www.chequeredflag.com/alfa/alfa.htm

Yes, it is -- I remember those 69 FRIGO California
plates.  It really does look a lot like my Berlina,
though mine has the later, lighter-colored tan
interior and the 2000-series dash (one instrument
binnacle instead of separate, Spideresque pods).

This car "sold" (rather, the auction ended; I don't
know how much money changed hands, if any) for
something in the neighborhood of $8000 several weeks
ago -- I think the auction ended the day after Joe
Cantrell and I swapped the new front seats into my
'73, and it was at something like $7900 when we went
downstairs to wrestle with the serpent.  While I'm
having a hard time imagining anyone actually spending
that much money on even a very, very nice Berlina, I
also thought that nobody would pay three quarters of a
million dollars for a two-bedroom tract house in
Sunnyvale, but that was happening with appalling
regularity when we left.

Maybe it's worth spending that $250 on all-new brake
components for the Berlina after all... :-)

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com