A Drive in the Country

Hello all-
Yesterday, May 26,  was beautiful in N. California, so with the top down on
the '69 Alfa Spider, my wife Becky and I took a little 80 mile excursion to
the little ex-gold mining town of Nevada City. The town now has become a
minor tourist destination with antique shops, galleries and neat little
restaurants.  Very enjoyable day. The Northern California BMW motorcycle
club was having their annual 49er event in Auburn, about 30 miles south of
Nevada City, and lots of neat (and expensive) bikes, including Ducatis,
lined the streets of Nevada City. We had a great lunch in a little Bar and
Grill that looked like it was transplanted from 1875 and did the touristy
things of shopping and visiting with some of the other tourists. We met the
Mayor of another little town - Penn Valley - who was pretty well hammered.
He must be at least 6'8" and was with a buddy who was 5'7" . They insisted
that I take their photo. It will look like a Mutt and Jeff redux I am sure!
As an additional bonus, there was a gorgeous black Spider Veloce parked
across the street from where I was parked. And to put the frosting on the
cake, we waved at yet another spider whilst on the return trip! It was a
spider day in Northern California!
Late in June the Alfa will be shown in the Palo Alto Concours. It really
isn't a show car because I drive it and you can't keep a car show worthy and
competitive if you do that. I really could care less, as a car should be
driven or what's the point? We'll stay with friends in Palo Alto and have a
good visit while we're there. Just thought I would share a non-problem Alfa
day with the list.
Regards,
--John Cecil
<jcecil@domain.elided>