Getting ready to do the brakes..

      Spider brakes are simple.  Both front and rear retract nicely when
spread with a screwdriver.  Just tap the lock pins out toward the inside of
the car with a drift, remove the cross bar, and spread the caliper to replace
the pad.
      Rather than push the dirty brake fluid back into the master cylinder, I
like to have someone hold the brake pedal down.  Then open the bleeder to
squirt the fluid out when you push the pad back.  Replace one pad, push the
other pad back and replace that one.
      Be glad you do not have a Milano, Alfetta or GTV-6.  The rear brakes on
the transaxle cars are a night mare.

       By the way, buy a shop manual anyway.  You will need it.  Alfa never
did publish one workshop manual covering all systems prior to the mid 1980's.
 You should buy several after market manuals as none are as complete as they
could be.  Also, almost everything in the mid 1980's spider manual reprinted
by IAP and other will also apply to your car except for the fuel injection.
Engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, etc., are all the same for all
spiders after 1972.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City