Re: Replacement battery tray source, battery in trunk

I just have to make my pitch for "Optima" style dry batteries one more time.
If you are going to put a battery in your trunk, in an older car that is PRONE
TO RUST, where leaks might lead to rust in your spare tire well, your rear
quarter panel, or other places -- I believe it is just crazy to use a wet
battery.

My experience (over 4 cars and 6 years) with the dry batteries is they last
longer than wet, and they need almost no maintenance.  Just keep the posts
clean and the cables in good shape, a job made much easier because their is no
wet acid around to promote corrosion.  Also, the dry battery will not leak in
an accident.

I won't have a wet battery in any car now.  At about $100, with at least a 5
year lifespan, these dry batteries are cheap insurance.

Just my not so humble opinion!

Tony
Portland, OR
74 GTV 2000 (with 1/4 panel and spare well damage from wet batteries)
70 2800CS  (with fender liner and rad support damage from wet batteries)
88 Montero (with fender liner and firewall damage from wet batteries)
92 Jetta (consumed 4 PS reservoirs before switching to an Optima, 0 since)
69 1602 (had so much rust the battery was hardly worth blaming...)