Refurbishing the Ugly Plastic Bumpers on a 1978 Spider

I was wondering if any digest members have ever tried to refurbish the ugly
plastic bumpers on a 1978 Spider. I've found new fiberglass replacement
bumpers for $350 (!), but I'd rather not spend this kind of bread on ugly
plastic, which is doomed to crack and break just like the originals. Is there
any kind of stain that could be used to restore the blackness of the bumpers?

Anyway--if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andy

P.S. Would anyone happen to have the upper part of a '78 Spider chrome grille
for sale. I can't seem to find it in any of the parts catalogs out there.