RE:Refurbishing the Ugly Plastic Bumpers on a 1978 Spider

>>I was wondering if any digest members have ever tried to refurbish the ugly
>>plastic bumpers on a 1978 Spider. I've found new fiberglass replacement
>>bumpers for $350 (!), but I'd rather not spend this kind of bread on ugly
>>plastic, which is doomed to crack and break just like the originals. Is there
>>any kind of stain that could be used to restore the blackness of the bumpers?
>>Anyway--if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

I have to admit, I don't recall what the bumpers on this model look like, so I
don't know if my suggestion will work for your application. FWIW, many of the
plastic-type parts on my GTV6 (ie plastic rocker covers, tea tray, fresh air
vents, bumper covers) were getting really gray and tired looking from 15 years
in the weather. I bought a few cans of SEM plastic paint (comes in a spray can)
and the stuff looks great. I don't think I've ever seen this product in the
local auto supply store, but I've seen it on the Internet somewhere (do a google
search on it and you'll find it) The color I got was called "Landau Black"

-JT