'Americanized' Spider...

In response:

What I meant by the '86 Spider feeling 'Americanized'
compared to the '78 is primarily due to the additional
weight, accessories, and trim that seem to clutter the
car and make it more difficult to maintain.  The
electric windows and mirrors in particular!  It seems
absurd to put this equipment in a small convertible and
dress up the car with spoilers and such.

I removed the spring spacers on the '78 so the car sat a
little lower and handled better.  The '86 is stock and
always seems to be on its tippy toes!  Either way,
the '78 always felt faster and I definitely could drive
it more aggressively with more confidence than the '86.
Don't get me wrong, the '86 is fun but the '78 was
REALLY fun!

As for the rear gear ratio, my ignorance shows through!
I was always under the impression that the 'Euro' cars
had the 4.10:1 ratio.  Supposedly all are limited-slip?

I once had a '80 'Euro' BMW 635CSI that was about 300 or
so pounds lighter than the US equivalent and had about
37 more HP.  Really incredible car compared the the US
version!  Had a 3.07:1 rear end while the US had a
3.25:1.  Not a big difference but the 'Euro' car just
didn't feel right at US highway speeds.  At 100+ MPH the
gearing was perfect!  Too bad it was such a grey-market
rust bucket...

Jeff