164 Motronic Problems

A diagnostics question for Fred or others who would care to comment.
Symptoms: While driving at around-town speeds, the car lurches and the check
engine light comes on and stays on for awhile. After awhile the light goes
away. No noticable driveability problems. I ran the self diagnosis as noted
below. A week later, the car starts to have intermittent difficulty idling,
especially from start - will start and die, but will keep running as long as
you give it throttle, until warm when it usually runs okay.
After the first occurance, the self-diagnosis was 1-2-2-2, which I read as a
short or open in the idle adjustment actuator circuit. I now also get a
1-2-2-1 reading, which I understand as a mismatch between the airflow meter
signal, the rpm, and the idle adjustment switch position.
Given these outputs and symptoms would it be advisable to replace the idle
actuator valve or are ther other things I should check?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Abhalter
Paducah KY