RE: Inner rubber boot on transaxle shaft

> One of my inner rubber boots on the transaxle
> halfshafts of my Alfetta has a few tears. I
> mentioned it to my mechanic at the last service
> and he said it's such a big job that he usually
> doesn't do it. He says the joint lasts so long
> anyway it's more feasable to replace the whole
> shaft with a good used one later down the road
> when they do wear out. Anyone know how big a
> job this is?

It's not a big job.

You've got to r&r the half shaft anyhow, even if you just wanted to replace
it.  Once you've got the half shaft out, you're looking at maybe 30 minutes
per end for the boots?

If I were putting a used half shaft in my car, I'd grease the cv joints and
install new boots anyhow..

bs