Inner rubber boot on transaxle shaft

Hey cats,

One of my inner rubber boots on the transaxle
halfshafts of my Alfetta has a few tears. I
mentioned it to my mechanic at the last service
and he said it's such a big job that he usually
doesn't do it. He says the joint lasts so long
anyway it's more feasable to replace the whole
shaft with a good used one later down the road
when they do wear out. Anyone know how big a
job this is?

Thanks,
Stefano
Oakland, Ca