Sprite or Cola?

Dan,

I've never owned a Sprite but my first sports car experience was vroooming
behind the wheel of my brother's when I was in grade school.  It was parked
and not running of course, but I had a great time winning lots of imaginary
races in it.  From what I understand they are pretty good handling (very short
wheelbase) and certainly distinctive little cars.  Not nearly as mechanically
sophisticated as your Duetto (I do own one of those) and  I think it would be
sort of a lesser redundancy as a restoration project, particularly if you just
see it as a stepping stone.  A restoration sucks at least a couple of years
out of your life that you won't get back and forget about making money on it.
Unless you're really passionate about that model car, I wouldn't tackle it.
I'm sure Scott Fisher knows some Brit car fanatics that would give it the
loving restoration that I'm sure it deserves.  On the other hand, a thousand
bucks sounds like a great deal and maybe you could just fix the brakes and
sell it as a running car for a bit more.  The trouble is stopping at the
brakes and not going on to fix everything else as you fall in love with this
cool little car and then several months and dollars later you realize that you
like your Duetto a lot better, there are British car parts mingling with
Italian car parts all over your garage and you still don't have your GTV!
Just some stuff to think about.

Good luck,
    Bill Sinclair
    67 Duetto