Spider battery relocation

('71 Spider battery to the rear?)

Not that your question was aimed at me, but I have to allow my
prejudices to come forward.

Sighhhh, I'd hafta say if it was a Series I, you shouldn't. However, (In
my not at all humble opinion), it's marginal resale wise on a Series II
but incredibly logical from the practical standpoint.

I once had a Fiat (70's 128 Sport Coupe as I recall) with the spare tire
in the engine bay. As far as I'm concerned, a spare tire in the engine
bay makes considerably more sense than a battery residing there.

Under most circumstances one never needs the spare tirenot so in the
case of the battery.

Yes, the cable follows along the brake and gas lines. Get a battery with
the + on the forward left (facing it). If you weld, clean up a patch
(upper and below) on the trunk floor to the right of the battery and
weld in washers. Then drill and tap. Grounding a battery to only sheet
metal doesn't seem like a wise move.

Now, the late 70's Spider's + cable follows along the gas / brake lines
then goes up the rear 'parcel shelf', then on south through what I term
the rear firewall, connecting to the battery. However, you don't have
the rear cardboard / carpeted parcel shelf cover, so run it up just
before the spare tire well. You might need to make a small platform for
the battery as (speaking of) there's that spare tire intruding on your
new battery's location.

Having zip to do with your car but replaced a 60's Spider cable (stock
rear location) with one from a later Spider. Not only was it the Exact
length, the bends, etc. magically mimicked the turns required for the
'60 Spider. If I was religious I'd say God does smile on us Alfa
folk...at least on rare occasions.

Two caveats: Don't be tempted to use welding cable. Why? 'Cause Ann O
says not to. She says to use Marine cable and has good reasons Not to
use welding cable. I have not the slightest doubt she noeth what she
sayeth.

Also, do a length vs height on the proposed battery. The longer, the
lower. The shorter, the somewhat taller you can go. However, if you've
followed me thus far, it will only be the - side which touches the
underside of the trunk drain / seal retainer. Obviously not a terribly
bad thing.

Having never done this myself...good luck,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Weld in a 'stud' on the (trunk) inside rear 'firewall' for your jack.

Just a thought: The latest R & T has comments regarding a Very Trick
Miata battery. I'd love to check the details but the magazine's, unnh,
grunt, waay across the room. Believe it is around $130, dealer only, I
assume it is small / smallish, apparently ten to eleven year life cycles
aren't all that unusual.

Speaking of cycles, believe it uses sanitary napkins filled with
electrolyte wedged between the lead plates.

If this doesn't bring out Tess / Anne O from hibernation, don't know
what will.

But I digress...