164 Camber

"And does it bother anyone that
changing the spacers on the smaller bushing-to-frame leaves the rear point
the same, in effect cocking the "A" frame -- does that change caster or
toe?  Only trivially?"
Richard:
 Remember that the length of the strut is variable. If you hold the strut
length fixed, say at maximum travel outward, and then reduce the distance
between the ball joint and the chassis, you would put a torsion stress on the
A-arm. However, the length of the strut changes, and compensates for the
modification of the abovementioned distance. The position of the A-arm with
car "sitting" on its wheels is influenced by an equilibrium between the
amount of total weight distributed on that wheel and the force of the spring.
That means that the A-arm's position will remain unchanged (not cocked, or
angled away from its "neutral" position). The 5-8 mm worth of travel of the
ball joint towards the chassis will be compensated by travel of the shock
rod.
As far as camber, caster and toe.
Toe is adjustable and will not be modified with this beyond its adjustable
range (I can post my alignment sheet if this helps).
Camber, as I explained becomes (in a small range) adjustable
The frozen caster is preserved, and here is the major advantage of this
modification versus ovalizing the holes at the strut top. Bill is right
saying that a small amount of mod up there has a relatively big result in
angle change. But that has its drawback too. A very small amount of
ovalization with the axis of the oval not perpendicular on the longitudinal
axis of the car (and how do you insure that you ARE perpendicular?), will
change the "frozen" caster, because now you have angled the strut in a
vertical plane, as from looking at it sitting in front of the wheel.
With the mod I suggest, I have checked the thickness of the washers with a
caliper and they seem to hold a quite acceptable tolerance, so it's safe to
assume that they're equally thick and with an identical number of them on
both mounting points, you have kept the pivoting axle of the A-arm parallel
to the chassis.
Now the design of the suspension allows the A-arm to travel closer to the
chassis. That's why there are bushings on it and a bushing at top of the
strut that allows it to angle.

My objection to the ovalization of the holes up top is also because although
it's a simple thing to do, it can probably never be brought back to original.
If you work on it with welding equipment, you could change the mechanical
characteristics of the steel in that plate and even cause thermal stress. The
end result will be that there will be a number of 164 that in time will
become available to others that want to keep them original, yet there will be
little you can do to bring them back. Should I mention that if you look
closely at what happens with the mounting points at the top, if there were a
stress on the bolts to move them sideways (inside that oval), the only thing
preventing them from doing that would be the tightness of those nuts?
But Again, Bill is right, if you lower a 164, you do what you have to do, and
I agree that what I suggested might not be enough in that case.

To look at what others do with their cars, you're right about VW. I had a
Scirocco and saw that eccentric upper bolt. Maybe the stress that was taken
into consideration at the strut bottom-hub assembly, is higher in the case of
the Alfa than the VW and that adjustable bolt was considered too weak.

If you look at what BMW fans have available, they have an adjustable strut
plate, on aftermarket. I think it installs in the strut assembly and provides
those mounting bolts to travel in an "organized" way   : )

Sorry for the length of this, take care everyone
Vlad
'91 164L
'85 Maserati Biturbo S