Spider motor mounts

In a message dated 5/16/2002 7:36:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Russ abd other interested owners with the problem of the main air duct
> hose pulling off.  I have found that since the filter housing is fixed
> to the chassis and the engine moves on the motor mounts due to torque,
> the hose gets separated.  TOO, in time and with lots of underhood heat,
> the hose dries out and loses flexibility.   New motor mounts and a new
> hose is called for!  NO adhesives, grooves or excessive clamp tightening
> is needed.   An alternative, if you can not afford a new hose, fashion
> an extension on the air filter box, or something.  BUT, new motor mounts
> for sure.  Fred Di matteo

This could be brain fade on my part but (correct me if I'm wrong)...

The OEM motor mounts on USA Spiders (through 94) were made of a material that
was prone to shrink, dry, crack, and get plumb wore out in a few years...

And now there is a new-style mount made of an improved material that should
retain its shape and size and last longer.  THIS is what you want when you
are changing your mounts (and I would guess if you haven't done it before,
the very newest old-style ones are closing on 8 years old now...)

Fact or fiction?

As for Fred's mention of the air induction "rubberoid" material shrinking and
drying due to time and under-hood heat, well, of course he's right and of
course EVERYTHING on an Alfa that is of that sort of material experiences the
same lifecycle sooner or later.  They are all like tires but in different
shapes: as soon as the soft goods are shrunk down and wore out, you need to
replace them.  The metal and glass bits tend to last quite a bit longer.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA