Formula One safety,etc

Please don't give Jacky Stewart so much credit for "improving" driver safety
in F1. In response to Stewart's demands,numerous F1 tracks in the early 70's
installed Armco barriers at runoff areas.Many of the tracks were lined with
one or two bands of Armco.At the 74  US GP I was watching from the hairpin
when Helmut Koinigg's throttle jammed and he ran head on into the Armco-he
was decapitated when his nose slid under the Armco.This was at the slowest
corner on the course-even with the stuck throttle he was going no faster
than 120mph.If the barrier hadn't been there he would not have been
killed.Stewart's teammate Cevert was also killed at the Glen the previous
year when his car got mangled upon impact with the Armco.Stewart clearly had
good intentions but history has shown that his cure was worse than the
disease.On a happier note,I applaud Tony George for installing soft walls at
Indy.If this design works and does not require a long time to repair it
should be installed at every oval.Wrecks are going to happen.That said it's
infuriated me for years that the racing community(starting with the fans!)
hasn't demanded that modern technology be employed to reduce the occurrence
of severe injuries.Finally we are getting real progress.As far as present
day F1 goes,how can anyone get excited about a form of motor racing where
passing is illegal?