Re: Turbo's...

Storhok, Eric (E.M.) wrote:
> Now take that very modified motor that can spin to 18,000 and add a turbo.  You still get more.

Hi Eric, I think that's what I said in digest #723 - what I was actually
pointing out was that the 100bhp/litre examples aren't any lighter than
4 cylinder 'atmo' engines with the same output.

> I have a copy of a Honda SAE paper about their 1.5l Turbo F1 engines from the late 80's.  Very interesting. (Ok, now for some reason, I can't find the darn thing..).  They actually admitted to making over 1000hp out of 1.5l.

Quite a tame one then ;-) I think BMW were getting something like
1200-1500bhp in qualifying trim from their 4 cylinder F1 turbo - not bad
for something with an engine block based on a production design. Most of
these F1 turbo engines would have been down around 600-800bhp to last a
2hr F1 race within the allowed fuel limits - which limits how rich you
could run the mixture to save the pistons. Seem to remember the Gasoline
FAQ had a piece on the Honda F1 engines.

Best Regards
Lex Jenner