Re: piston-slap (was rodknock)

Esteemed Digesti,
Last months Owner was a juicy edition with a great article by Mr. Hoard
outlining the care and feeding of his GTA Junior. One of his experiences that
bears reference is the discription of piston slap in the Giulietta engine. I
can see how this sound might be naively mistaken for a spun bearing. The 1750
in my spider seems to exhibit the same rattle at low rpm/high load
situations. I've discussed this observation before, and tried retarding the
timing and dumped various fuel additives, all to no avail. Admittedly, the
reader with the $50. Alfetta has the 2L engine, where the pins are offset.
Hoard says this later arrangement solved the piston-slap problem. Does anyone
know if the 1750's were prone to piston-slap?

Devotedly I remain,

Modelle in Somers Point