Re: Rod knock

Hey cats,

Interesting discussion. I've been wondering about a noise in my
Alfetta. I guess I could describe it as a knock. It is present when
I start it up, but goes away after it warms up.

The engine was rebuilt last summer. The mechanic found a scored
crank on #1 cylinder. He said he is pretty good a sanding them
down by hand instead of grinding them. He is familiar with the hardening
of the crank in these engines. After sanding, he said it came out
pretty well and was satisfied to put it back together. I felt the crank
and it was very smooth. He put it back together with standard bearings.
I asked about the size and he said the small bit of sanding wasn't
enough to use oversized bearings.

That's the story, and now the knock makes me wonder about it. The
sound has always been there. It doesn't seem to be getting any
louder. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stefano.
Oakland, CA