Re: 2.0 V6

on 5/9/02 12:28 PM, Keith Strini at keith.strini@domain.elided wrote:

> On 5/9/02 3:02 PM, "George Graves" <gmgraves@domain.elided> wrote:
>
>> on 5/9/02 11:07 AM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 08:33:58 -0400
>>> From: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@domain.elided>
>>> Subject: Re: 2.0 V6
>>>
>>> George Graves, responding to a further comment on the 2.0 V6 Turbo, writes
>>> that ""The 2 liter V-6 just has a shorter stroke, I believe. Same weight,
>>> size, etc." as the 2.5. Small quibble, a shorter stroke AND smaller bore, 80
>>> 66.2 mm against the 88 x 68.3 of the 2.5 and the 93 x 72.6 of the
>>> three-liter.
>>> Pretty close to the bore/stroke ratio of the 116 Giulietta 1.3 (80 x 67.5)
>>> and
>>> the 78 x 67.5 of the Junior version of real GTA.
>>>
>>> Not meant as nit-picking, just adding data in the spirit of more-is-better,
>>> which it is in some things.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> John H.
>>
>> Thanks for the info. I've never seen specs on the engine, I was just going
>> by what I remembered reading once.  My point was that while the little Mazda
>> V-6 is a tiny jewel of an engine, the 2.0 liter version of the Alfa V-6 was
>> the same block as the 2.5/3.0 liter version. One thing that I always
>> wondered: the Mazda engine was universally praised when it showed up in the
>> MX-3 coupe. Why did Mazda not drop it into the Miata? Now THAT would have
>> been a car! Opinions, anyone?
>

> Could not the same be said about dropping the 2.0 V6 turbo Alfa engine into
> a spider?

The Alfa V-6 is pretty big. Its about 32 inches tall from the bottom of the
oil pan to the top of the fuel injection intake plenum. I have seen a
normally aspirated 3.0 liter V-6 installed in a "Bertie" GTV and it's a
pretty tight fit. My point is that the Alfa 4-banger sits much lower in a
Bertie coupe than it does in a spider, so without having to fabricate a new
hood with a 'power bulge' in it, I think the V-6 would be too tall. And I'm
reasonably sure that the turbos would be an impossible fit. OTOH, why use
the 2.0 liter Alfa V-6 at all? Aside from its rarity outside of Italy
(probably IN Italy as well), the normally aspirated 3 liter has both more
horsepower and torque than does the 2.0 liter turbocharged V-6 for the same
physical size and weight of engine. With a little work (porting and
relieving, headers, a new "chip" in the EMU, etc.) the 3.0 liter Alfa V-6
can put out pretty close to 250 HP without the turbocharger. I know the 105
Spider chassis can take it, after all, it carried the Montreal's Tipo 33
V-8.

You have to see the Mazda MX-3 V-6 to understand just how tiny the little
bugger is. I believe its 1.8 liters, and its probably all of 20 inches long,
15 inches wide and about 18-20 inches tall (I'm guessing here from memory).
It would surely fit in a Miata as its physically not much larger (if any)
than the Miata's 4-banger.