Re: removing tranny mount

Joe Cantrell said:
>With great respect for Dana, I have to differ.  Pounding on the bushing can
>break the mount right off the transmission.  Won't necessarily, but Nasko,
>Portland Alfa wrench, has recycled several trannies where some hapless
>owner has tried the BFH approach.  I have heard that heat on the aluminum
>will open it up enough to be able to tap the thing out, but that too much
>heat melts the aluminum.
>
>Much better, to find or make a tool which will press it out.  I've done
>several like that, with no problems worse than that greasy gorp which
>collects on top of the mount falling in my eyes.

I wouldn't argue with Joe's advice.  I have junked at least one rear cover
that was probably broken by a previous, careless attempt to change the
support bushing.  The likelihood of damaging the case should be reduced by
using the right size drift so it doesn't get stuck in the bore,  applying
heat judiciously, supporting the circular mount, and paying attention.  But
pressing the bushing out is certain to be better if a suitable tool can be
devised.