Re: tow rigs

Hey Dana, Brian S, Scott F and all

What wouldn't I give to have one of those monster tow vehicles you guys use
in the States! But we have to face reality: here in Kiwiland gas costs
about $5/gallon so there goes the budget! Diesel on the other hand is less
that $3/gallon so there is a choice to be made there. I use a Nissan
Terrano 2.7 tubodiesel which gets up to 120 km/h on a good day with trailer
hitched on and struggles to get up long grades at 45 km/h .. bloody pain.
Part of the problem is the weight we tow. Although the car weighs 500 kg,
the trailer is heavy, like realy heavy. tandem wheels, fully enclosed with
underfloor storage for parts, spare wheels etc. The rear door is heavy
steel and opens downwards to form a ramp ... get the picture? That said,
the relatively small (tiny by US standards) Nissan is a great workhorse and
we have covered about 10,000 km in it during the racing season just ended.
Oil usage zilch, problems - zero. Just replaced the drag link and rebushed
the steering idler last week because someone had used urethane bushes which
chopped out. Job took just over an hour.

Hey Kiwis, anyone going to "May Madness" this weekend?  See you if you're
there.

Les