more on clacking distributor

thanks everyone for the quick quick response on my
clack clack distributor. I investigated - pulled the
cap and looked inside. Darn. I've never seen anything
so ugly. The rotor tip had disinigrated and burned,
back, oh, about 1/4" from when new. The shaft is very
loose as well.

So, the new question: How does one replace a distributor?
Can I do this myself, or is there a trick, like making
sure it's lined up just right?

And another question: should I replace w/a bosch or is
there a better choice?

thanks!

dave sisson
86 spider grad