Dead Spider, help!

I pulled my '73 Spider from it's winter rest yesterday. Yes! Drove the car
for about 5 minutes, when suddenly the electrical system just died.
Everything, the dash, engine, all. Like if the battery got disconnected.
Checked the battery terminals, seemed Okay. All while sitting on the
mountain road with no place to pull over! Embarrassing, and definitely not
safe. Put a jumper wire from the battery POS post to the distributor "hot"
wire, and was able to start the car and drive it home. Now, what could be
the problem here, ignition switch? Help please!

Val
Seattle