re: tow rigs (no Alfa content)

Scott wrote:
>Where you draw YOUR line in the sand is really all
>that matters to YOU.  However, having been forcibly
>dragged through the dirt to see where somebody else
>drew HIS line and spend some 22-24 hours in the
>experience, I have to say it was pretty damn nice over
>there.

I've not succumbed to the racing bug in a personal way yet, (although I've
spent lots of time helping others keep that monkey firmly perched on their
back), but tow I have, and tow I will.  Most of my towing in adulthood (or
what passes for it in my life) has been boats, and in my youth farm life gave
me lots of opportunity as well.

I do hold to the "whatcha tow with should cost less than watcha tow" rule, but
I also demand my tow rig be reliable, powerful and safe.  I also have a
personal rule of "no new cars, ever", because I save a lot of money and
because I don't put as large a dent in the planetary resources (making a new
car has WAY more impact on the environment than driving even the most
gas-thirsty used pig).

Fortunately, there are uncountable numbers of capable used full-size pickups
in our fair land.  My last one was a 78 Ford F-150 Camper Special with factory
tow package.  As a bonus, this lovely two-tone silver over navy behemoth had a
mural of the sun setting behind Haystack rock on the Oregon coast painted down
each flank.  Spectacular.

In 4 years my upkeep investment was one set of exhaust manifold gaskets, a set
of tires, and fluid changes.  This truck towed my 19" Seaswirl V hull (the
original "sleeper" of boat-dom, it had a 350 Chev V8 4bbl and was, as many a
hydro driver discovered, damn fast), loaded to the gunwales with camping gear
and food and ski gear, with the bed of the truck similarly filled, anywhere
and everywhere at a rock steady 75 mph, never dropping below 10 mpg.  It made
the trip to Lake Shasta in NoCal every summer, over the Siskiyou pass in 90
degree weather, and the temp needle never moved above the middle of the gauge.
I once had to drop my boat at the summit and return to the lower part of the
hill to tow a friend's Suburban AND Ski Nautique to the top because they kept
overheating.

I think I paid $3200 for it.  For the price of a new rig of similar
capability, I could have 7 or 8 of my trucks, not even counting the money I
would save on insurance.  OK, my arm is getting sore from patting myself on
the back, on to other things.

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800CS