Re: Resonators and mufflers

Michael's differentiation between mufflers and resonators makes sense
until we look at some of the performance manufacturers. Specifically, I
am speaking of those who manufacter "mufflers" for race prepared cars.
Many of these purpose built "mufflers" are designed like Michael's
description of a resonator. Then again, Volkswagen attached chrome tips
to the mufflers of their air cooled cars that carried the design
parameters of Michael's muffler. These were called resonators (and
notice that they were attached to mufflers of which I do not know the
internal design).

All nit-picking aside, both of these designs change the pitch and tonal
qualities of the exhaust sound. What they are called is inconsequential
to the end result.

By the way, what would Lotus' electronic noise modifying system be
called? A muffler? A resonator?

Peace,
Ben
(They are multiplying ;~)