Exhausts

       My 91 Spider Veloce has a stock exhaust with a straight pipe on the
rear ending in a chrome tip I picked up at a local autoparts store.  Exhaust
note is almost loud enough to hear it.  Still very quiet.
       My 82 Spider Veloce has the catalytic converter replaced with an old
and probably no longer available Ansa "Catalyst Test Tube."  The test tube is
essentially a resonator.  The center muffler was replaced with a straight
pipe.  The rear is an Ansa dual tip, now rather burned out.  It is LOUD.  It
was not bad when new, but with 12,000 miles or so, it has burned out and is
too loud.  I am thinking of welding a short glass pack in for the center
muffler.
       In fact, that is my recommendation.  The center muffler does all most
all the work.  In spite of the stock muffler being a straight through design,
it is quiet.  Replace the center section with a glass pack and run an Ansa
rear section.  That should give a reasonable amount of Alfa sound.
       On the 91 and newer spiders with the round hole for the exhaust pipe,
the new single tip Ansa fills the space nicely.  The stock tail pipe looks
puny in that spot.  I am not into the Rice Rocket look, but do want the parts
to look right.

       The 75 through 89 exhaust manifolds are quite restrictive.  Replace
with a set of 74 or older exhaust manifolds.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City