Torsen LSD

I downloaded a tech paper on the Torsen LSD and from my inexpert reading I
conclude that the Torsen does indeed permit differential slippage under
drive force, and that the rate of slippage is predetermined by the cut of
the helical gears that replace the normal bevel spider gears. In other
words the Torsen can be "preloaded" to deliver  different amounts of slip
under load. In theory the Torsen permits unlimited slip in overrun. An open
differential can transmit one half of the torque available at the wheel
with lower traction, unfortunately often close to half of zero. The Torsen
transfers the torque available to the wheel with the higher traction, but I
do not think it ever actually locks up. The transition of torque applied
across the differential gears is supposed to be smooth and imperceptible to
the driver. The Torsen is correctly described as an Automatic Torque
Biasing differential. Torque is applied to the wheel with more grip until
that wheel slips and the torque is then seamlessly transferred across to
the other wheel and so forth, feeling as if no slippage at all is occurring.

Anybody out there with the necessary engineering and literary skills to
correct my understanding (or confirm it as the case may be)? Torsen LSD are
of particular interest to owners of fwd vehicles because it is the only LSD
that promises minimal steering effects. I have considered putting one in my
SAAB Aero. The 164 doesn't really have the torque to justify one, except
for the top line 24 valve engine. Audi uses a Torsen center differential in
their excellent Quattro drive package, and it works great.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L