GTV6 oil consump

In a message dated 5/2/2002 10:01:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Subject: 84 GTV6 oil consumption
>
> Is 1 qt per 500 miles indicative of required engine work?  Engine runs
> strong and I do not see it smoke and it is not leaking while it is parked.

If you drive it hard and hot at the track maybe it would use more oil
(measurable?) but speaking from my experience with a "nearly-new" 84 GTV6
with close to 150k miles on the clock, used on the public roads, you've got a
thirsty motor.

 I may top up with 1 US quart of old-fashioned dino oil about halfway between
changes (every 3k miles or so), so it looks to me as though you're adding 3x
more.

NB: there are a couple of well-known places oil tends to seep out without its
actually running onto the floor of the garage, and if you use the car this
seepage could possibly burn off from engine heat before it accumulates enough
to drip.  It must be going someplace and I think you're using more than you
should be.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA