Milano automatic question

I have an '88 MIlano with an automatic transmission.  The shift linkage
cable "gummed" up on me, and as a result, the cable kinked and had to be
replaced.

I removed the old cable and installed a new one, but something isn't quite
right.  I can move the selector from Park to Drive with no problem, but
when I try to move it from Drive back to Park, the cable feels like it is
coiling up (it feels "springy").  The odd thing is that if I hold the
button in and move the selector back and forth between Drive and Park a few
times, the transmission will eventually shift back into Park, although it
moves quickly (as if spring loaded) and makes a nice "thunk" noise.

The cable is secured tightly to the brackets on both ends, and the brackets
themselves are nice and tight.  If I crawl under the car and watch the
cable as a friend moves the selector, I can see the cable "give" and coil
up as the selector is moved from Drive to Park.

Has anyone run into this problem before?  Could the new cable be
defective?  I'm stumped!

Thanks!

Gavin Silaski
'88 Milano Platinum