Re: Infection

--- Pottree@domain.elided wrote:

> Is THAT where I got it, from the Digest?  My
> illusions are shattered!

Piece them back together: the Digest itself strips off
ALL attachments, which is why you can't send pix of
your nifty new car to everybody on the list.

However, there's nothing to say that one of the
hundreds if not thousands of people who SUBSCRIBE to
the Digest might have been infected.  And the way the
Klez virus/worm works is that it reads the inbox of
infected computers and sends copies of itself to
people it finds there.  It also changes both the
Subject line and the From line of the message, masking
its vectors nicely.

(Not from me: not only do I not send Alfa-list mail
from Outlook -- the program that Klez and its variants
are designed to infect -- but I not only run
anti-virus software, but also manually checked the
Windows system registry for evidence of this worm.
I'm clean.)

If you have concerns about your system, check this
page for starters (hope the mailer doesn't clip the
line):

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.gen@domain.elidedl

Not much Alfa-specific content here, except that I
appear to be infected with the roofedAlfa virus, and
worse yet, I must be a carrier as I have apparently
infected Joe Cantrell with it.  He did yeoman's work
on my Berlina last weekend (story forthcoming) and was
last heard muttering something about "gotta get me one
of these tin-tops..." recently.

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
.