Infection

In a message dated 4/29/2002 9:13:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> By analogy to stuff which has been hitting my system some, perhaps most
> or all of these, appear to my paranoid mind to be possibly the residue of
> a new variant of the W32/KLEZ virus/worm. (There is an article about it
> in The New York Times business section, Saturday, and undoubtedly others
> accessible elsewhere.)

Is THAT where I got it, from the Digest?  My illusions are shattered!

Major disaster last week (after a different type of major computer disaster
the prior week) was traced to a klez virus, now purged.  It took out
something like the NTSB (very approx.) in Win XP  which rendered the system
inoperable.  My pet (paranoid) theory: these things are frequently created
and loosed by the same people who sell anti-virus software, besides the usual
international gang of miscreants and lunatics.  Of course, this could be
something like accusing body shops of causing traffic accidents, but it is
all in good fun.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA