refurbishing Spider door panels

The time has come for me to do something about the door panels on my '86
Spider Quad. The board under the upholstery has become warped enough in the
past 16 years that the panels simply won't remain fastened to the door,
despite brand new fastener hardware.

My two options are replacing the panels and refurbishing them myself.

I've had no luck whatsoever in finding replacement panels (either new or used
in very good condition). APE says they almost never get them, and Alfa Parts
says they're no longer available. To my knowledge, there aren't replacement
panels available from non-original vendors that are an exact match for the
Quad door panel.

So now I'm considering diving in and making new panels. I've read that it's
not too hard a job: buy a new board for the panel, cut it in the same pattern
as the old board (using the old panel as a tracing model), and transfer the
upholstery to the new board.

My questions are:

	1) Are there any technical articles in any Alfa Owners' Club's
	   archives that document the process, to guide me? Or web pages?

	2) If not, have you done this yourself, and could you offer any
	   wisdom you learned along the way?

	3) What material should I use for the replacement door panel board?
	   I want warp-resistance, and ideally, something that doesn't resonate
	   too badly. What have people used in such a job in the past?

Or, if anyone happens to know of a source for new or used (very good
condition) Quad door panels, I'd be very glad to buy a pair.

Many thanks,
-Brad, bkarp@domain.elided
'86 Spider Quadrifoglio, daily driver