Mixing octane numbers

Charlie,
Interesting idea that 93 octane is really 89...  Possible.  I'd have to say not likely.

When I worked at Chevron Research Co 12 years ago, they used to test other companies fuels all the time.  It was quite common to see much higher numbers than was on the pump- timed nicely with credit card sales. (hey, your car runs better on X gas than every one else- come get a credit card, and buy our gas!).

Knowing this, I would think other companies would not hesitate turning bad stations in.

To my confession- Ines puts premium into her 164, and I put premium into the GTV.  For the GT- its cheap insurance when I'm on the track.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011