Octane again

In a message dated 4/22/2002 10:26:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> 3 octane?
> What the h*ll is that?  an new gasoline?
>
> Jorge in California
> 87 to 91 max, and dropping...

Once upon a time in an ancient land called Massachusetts, we used to have a
brand of fuel called Sinclair, which featured a brontosaurus (very popular
lately).  On their pumps they had a little handle and you could select the
octane you wanted to buy, I believe in 5 octane increments, and the max was
something like 93, maybe more.  Here in CA, we don't get that, we have
oxygenated gas, gas with special winter additives, and probably who knows
what poured in the mix as well, notably by Union 76 among the majors. Then,
we have counties with special nozzles that won't work right in an Alfa 6.
Yet we keep going.  It is a a crapshoot AFAIK.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA