more on welding & our move & such

I have to agree with most of what Mark said - for the kind
of welding you'd mostly be doing, bodywork wise, or exhaust
wise, on your alfa romeo (there's the content) a MIG machine
is really the easiest way to go. A torch, however, is nice as
well, and I feel that both should be part of your toolkit. An
oxy - acetelene cutting/brazing torck is ideal for lots of
jobs. A used MIG machine will often be a cheaper way to go,
and it is true, they are often very reliable. I prefer the
very old machines, without fancy computer controls, these
control boards often can go bad, and are very expensive to replace.
my 1960's vintage miller TIG machine was the best in the shop.

For garage use, the new small 115 volt mig welders from lincoln
or miller can't be beat. I think hobart makes a quality machine
as well.

In other alfa news, I'd like to thank all the San Francisco
area alfisti who gave such great advice about moving to
that area. Unfortunately, my wife has decided on the University
of Michigan & we will be moving to Ann Arbor in about 3 weeks.
We have decided to take the spider with us, and enjoy it for
the rest of the Michigan summer. Who knows, perhaps we'll even
keep it!!! With that said, I don't expect we'll have a garage,
and if some midwestern alfisti is looking for a nice rust
free texas spider, let me know...And to all the Ann Arbor / Detroit
folks: here we come!

Dave Sisson
Dillon Kyle Architecture
3219 Milam