quirks

In a message dated 4/23/2002 9:31:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> (the Italians don't even come close to the French when it comes to
> national design quirks),

I'll say!  Had a Xantia in France some months ago and it was more than
slightly  weird.  The self-leveling system would come on at odd times, such
as when stopped at a light, and one end of the car or the other would seem to
levitate.  On rearview mirror was electric, the other worked on a rubber
lever that was the wackiest thing I've seen.  It took a full day just to get
used to the oddball door locks.

I must say, it drove OK (if you didn't mind the scary understeer), was peppy
enough and did well on fuel economy.  It had great brakes, especially key in
France.  The trunk/boot (the whole reason I got that car) was fine, but of
course it was only sorta a half-assed trunk crossed with a hatchback with a
cardboard covering held up by paltry rubber bands.  One was broken when I got
the car, the other one lasted about 2 days.

I begged and pleaded for an Alfa but to no avail...

Charlie
LA, CA, USA