Welding...then on the other hand

To answer Mark Denovich's question, no, I'm not trying to start a fight.

Much of my ranting has to do with both myself and friends.

Myself, because many years ago I mostly disassembled a car, still have
it, but doubt if it will ever be completed (at least by me).

Friend A called recently and mentioned he will be storing his two Lotus
Elites on their sides in a space he found. I'm not sure where he'll
store the other cars. He's close to 70, in good physical shape, has
collected cars all of his life, but will be selling his Victorian house
and immense garage and moving 'up North'.

I hate to be morbid but it will undoubtedly be his young son's job to
clean out these storage areas when friend passes away. Don't believe the
teenage son is at all interested in cars.

Friend B who is in his mid 60's, not quite ready to retire yet, does
fairly actively collect tools and parts for his Jaguars. Now, in this
case, I certainly don't discourage his tool buying because he's parked a
fair amount of them at my place. He needs to build a garage since all he
has is a tiny one which is filled up with a Mark II. The rest of his
cars are in the side and back yard under tarps.

His son isn't especially interested in cars eithercertainly not to work
on them. This friend has talked about building 'the garage' for the past
10 or 12 years I've known him.

So you see, my recent comments are based on personal experiences with
mostly somewhat older friends.

The other point is to not feel bad if you 'can't do everything'.
Obviously I feel neither guilty nor attempt to personally accomplish
every aspect of a restoration.

Fairly recently I mentioned on the 750-101 Digest I was dreading having
the windshield installed on Joe's '60 Spider. Now mind you, the
professional glass installer comes to my place. Still I fretted over all
the possible areas which could go wrongsome of which initially did.

A fellow sent me an email saying he has dreaded the thought of
installing the windshield on his own Spider so much it has sat almost
completely restored for five years.

My personal feeling is this is such a shame he didn't call in a pro long
ago and could now be driving the car.

I fully understand Mark Denovich's comments regarding his 'restoration'
of a rusty Milano Verde. Yes, it can be very fulfilling learning new
skills and adding to one's tool collection over the years.

Loved Joe Elliot's pragmatic approach: "My rule of thumb--if I can't get
my parents to reimburse me for a tool purchase, I don't really need it."

Then there is Ralph Fetsch's approach to life in general. Yes, sounds
like he's bought his share of tools which are apparently gathering dust
as we speak. With the recent death of a friend his age (61) it
apparently was something of a wake-up call. He enjoys spending time with
his family and isn't bothered by the tools sitting unused. Certainly
makes sense to menot that he requires my approval.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA