Re: Welding...then on the other hand

> From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>

> How can I put this delicately? Quit Masturbating Yourself by doing
> somewhat minor 'details' on your car which can be better performed (and
> most generally cheaper) by professionalsand which require umpteen tools
> which will be rarely, if ever, be used by you again.

Biba,

	Are you trying to start a fight?

	I completely disagree with your point.   As I've tackled the myriad of
problems that come along with a $900 rusty Milano Verde, I've learned
many new skills, and had good reason to increase the number of tools in
my shop.

	What I've found is that with each new problem I tackle, I gain valuable
new skills and experiences that make solving the next problem easier.
I was by no means a novice when I started wrenching on my Milano 16
months ago...  but I found that my initial success ratio when
approaching a problem was maybe an honest 20%.  What I mean by that is,
that 80% of the time something unplanned would happen during the repair
making the repair that much more difficult (sheared bolts, broken parts,
striped threads) often leading to some obviously dodgy repairs.

	As my skillset (and toolset) has expanded my success ratio has gone up
remarkably, time spent doing the repair has gone down, and the final
result is more often quite satisfactory.  In fact the end result is
often much improved.  I'm now approaching 80% inital success, which may
be as good as I can get with such a rusty/abused car as I currently own.

	What really makes me confident in my opinion is the non-linear
cost/benefit ratio of learning.   The benefit of each new skill/tool you
learn is compounded...  Learning something about metallurgy enhances my
welding/machining/engineering skills.  Problems just keep getting
easier, not only when working on cars, but around the house and at work.

	Looking at the problem from a $$$ issue...   My net investment ($$$) in
tools seems pretty small in comparison with what checkbook mechanics
tend to pay.   My costs have really tapered off now that my shop is for
the most part well outfitted.   In total I've spent around $2000 and now
have a lathe, industrial air compressor, MIG welder, oxy/act torch,
drill press, assorted air tools, countless hand tools, etc.  at my
disposal.  Most should last me a lifetime.

	Where you should have focused your arguement is on the economics of time.
  For many the "opportunity cost" for working on car is more than the
resulting benefit.   Their time would be better spent at work, or with
their family, or focusing on some more enjoyable form of recreation.
Those people should stick to being checkbook mechanics.   However, there
are a significant number of people (a much higher percentage on this
list than the general public) who have enough "cheap" time and enjoy our
hobbies enough to satisfy the cost/benefit equation.

	My approach has not only been a reasonably good way to maximize the
rewards from my time/money, but it has also opened up many new (and more
enjoyable) areas of experience for me to explore (futher maximizing my
return on my investment.)

	I say look at your life, and how you spend your time.   Are you getting a
good deal?

	--Mark