Brake light Switch 74 GTV

Can someone please explain the operation of the brake light switch for a
74 GTV.  I am having intermittent brake light problems.

I have 12 + volts on one side of the switch and Aero volts on the other,
when I push on the pedal, the 12+ volt side drops to zero and the lights
do not work.  Is this how it should work?  Or do I have a bad switch?

Kelly M