Re: early 116 part numbers

In AD8-#667 Andrew Watry notes (and speculates): "In looking through my 2000
Berlina parts manual from 1971, there are a fair number of mechanical parts
like the ring gear, rod bolts and nuts, and the like, that already had 116.xxx
(Alfetta) part numbers at that 105/115 production era.  I recall that Alfettas
were introduced in Europe years earlier than in the US (1972?), but I'm
wondering (1) what year Alfa started designing the Alfetta chassis, and (2) if
that coincides with the design of the 2000 engine.  In particular, I wonder if
the change in the 2000 flywheel attachment (6 big bolts threading into the
crankshaft instead of 8 smaller bolts threading into a ring collar) was
looking forward to the coming Alfetta system with a driveshaft attached to the
crankshaft, with the flywheel at the back?"

It is usually true that the first three digits of an Alfa part number in the
101-162 period indicate the series of first use, with the next two either 00
if basic to the entire series or the two which differentiate models within the
series, indicating the model of first use, but that is far from invariable.
The best explanation I have heard (from one who certainly knows for sure, if
there is an error it is mine and not his) is that the numbers were generated
in-house during a design program in which the project numbers might or might
not follow a car into production. The most glaring example is the tipo 115.33
of 1967 (the Stradale) which bears hardly any relationship to any other 115
car; the later use of 115 for a subset of the 105 cars seems to have been an
arbitrary administrative decision. People try to explain the later 115 cars
(as distinct from 105 cars) as US cars, or two-liters, or Spicas, or
hanging-pedal cars, but the next 115 after the Stradale was the Giulia 1300
Super of 1970, while its generally identical 1600 companions remained 105s.
Don't look for clear logic in that one.

Another loose end in the system is that the type-number used in the 'studi'
stage usually, but not always, was used at the 'omologazione' stage (if the
project went that far) and often, but not always, followed as the type-number
of the production car if it was eventually produced. About 300 of the 105
parts used on the 2000 are 105.41 parts, but no 105.41 was produced; it was
explained to me that it was "a precursor of the 105.44 for FIA omologazione".
The 116 parts Andrew mentions on the 105/115 Berlinas present apparently
similar anomalies; about half of them are 116.00 and the other half were
116.08 or 116.10, which do not match any 116 model number. That doesn't end
the weirdoes; the list of 116 parts used on the 105 2000 is followed by two
each of 140.20 and 141.00 parts. There were undoubtedly 140 and 141 programs,
but not necessarily ones which might have led to eventual cars.

It is often interesting, and sometimes informative, to look for the possible
technical reasons for detail design changes. One of the 116 parts used on the
2000 Berlina (116.00.53.458.01) is a door limit-strap pin which replaces the
Giulietta-era limit-strap pin (2160.11837) used in the door of the 1750
Berlina. Another is the transmission filler-plug, replacing the
Giulietta-era-numbered filler plug in the generally identical 1750
transmission, and below the 116 filler plug the 2000 transmission has a
141.00.13.122.00 drain plug where the 1750 transmission had a Giulietta-era
drain plug. Same functions in the same holes, using the same gaskets, but
different plugs. On the same pair of almost identical gearboxes you will find
identical parts held together with identical bolts and identical washers, but
two different 6 x 1 mm nuts, 2120.92406 on the 2000 and 2120.15051 on the
1750. There was probably a reason for the change - well, maybe, if not
probably - but I don't have it. And don't ask me why there were seven
different part numbers for the 6 x 1 mm nuts used on the 2000.

John H.