Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided

>For "pure" gasoline, the difference between high and low octane fuel is
that the higher octane has fewer long-single chain HC's in it.  These long
chain HC's are less >stable than double chain or "round" chain HC's,

OK, I'm not anything near a chemist, but what about benzine, toluene, etc?
Are these not "round" molecules, and are they not very stable, also?
Curious....

>I say should because its quite common to use various versions of alcohol's
to raise the octane.

Also true of many of the so called "octane boosters" sold at auto parts
stores. May stop pinging, but generally lower power output, also, and are
quite expensive vs. volume per container. (Marketing is king.)

>Alcohol fuel does burn slower AND has lower specific energy, which means
that you will lose both fuel economy and power under EQUAL running
conditions (air, spark, >and fuel).<

Let's talk for a minute about that "equal" part! Assuming optimum air/fuel
for both mixtures, if you could run more advance and compression, would not
the benefits of additional charge cooling and detonation resistance lead to
greater specific output running an alky blend? Curious....