RE:Gearbox wire and other stuff

Ed-

I replaced the steering box in my '84 spider last summer.  I'll assume
that your '74 isn't too different.

My shop manual recommended removal of the pedal assembly, brake booster,
etc. before removing the box.  I tried to cut this corner, but found that
there was not enough clearance.  Even after removal of these components,
the box was still difficult to take out.  The stain on my floor mat
reminds me of the struggle every time I drive the car (had a puddle of
gear oil there when the removal was complete).

Steering is very smooth now - worth the trouble.  Good luck!

-John Barbera