GTV6 Horns and Steering

      Thanks for the warning George. This all happened to me quite
a while back and the part about the steering failing I can vouch for
frirst hand. Luckily, I was only doing about 20 mph and was about
five doors from home. If that had happened on the highway I might
not have survived to tell.

>Mark. This is not just a broken wire, this could be a dangerous situation in
>a GTV-6 (so I'm told). Mine did the same thing. What happens is that the
>horn ground wire loops around a rubber coupling at the steering pinion at
>the base of the column. As time goes by (a kiss is just a ki.... never mind)
>that coupling works its way out of the two metal housings that it holds
>together. As the rubber works it way out, it strains the horn ground wire to
>the breaking point. at some later point, your steering fails in such a way
>that the steering wheel comes free and rotates almost 180 degrees before
>catching on the coupling again. This can be very disconcerting at least, and
>deadly at worst. Get it fixed. My mechanic charged me $400 to do the job.
>
>George Graves

      Mark Manley
 '84 GTV6
SCCA GP Fiat X1/9