164 brake fluid loss

I have a very gradual loss of brake fluid in my 164 Q.  My mechanic thought
that it was due to deterioration of the line leading from the reservoir to the
master cylinder, possibly due to previous replacement with incompatible hose
material.  On disassembly, he concluded that the problem area was actually in
a couple of grommets on the input side of the master cylinder.  He thought
possibly this could be due to oil getting on them somehow.

Unfortunately, it seems that this will require replacement of the master
cylinder, which is not obtainable separately from the booster. Has anyone else
experienced this problem?  Any alternative solutions? Could this be due to
incompatible brake fluid?  I have been using Castrol LMA.  I don't know what
the previous owner used.

Prompt response would be appreciated.  The master cylinder/booster will be
ordered tomorrow, and work will begin on Thursday.

Thanks,
Ray Clemo