Re: 164 brake fluid loss

Ray,
       You did not mention if there was brake fluid visible around to grommet
area.  I don't know the details of the 164 design, but brake fluid is
non-volatile.    There should be no compatiblity issues as far as seal
integrity.  As I recall, the different DOT ratings are for boiling point and
moisture accumulation.  These are not your problem - though you should use
the DOT rating recommended by Alfa.
       Any leak should be visible.  Of course, if the leak is in an area that
has a lot of dirt/grease/oil it might be hard to tell what is what.  If you
believe you are SEEING the leak, then go ahead and have your mechanic do the
repairs.  If you cannot SEE the leak, then you haven't isolated the problem
and replacing the master cylinder is just an expensive wild goose chase.
       On the Spider, a common failure mechanism is the master cylinder
leaking into the vacuum diaphragm.  You will see that you are loosing fluid,
but you won't see it going anywhere!  Once you disassemble the master
cylinder, then it becomes obvious that the fluid is accumulating in the
diaphragm.  This might be your problem.

Cheers,
Charlie