Re: Battery tenders/chargers with starting-assist option

While my experience seems to be unusual, I can give a negative rating
for the popular "Battery Tender" branded devices.  I used one on a bike
a few years ago and killed two batteries before I realized the tender
wasn't operating correctly, and all because a connector was bad.  The
"I'm charging" light would come on when it was *draining* the battery.
A shorted (provided) connector was fooling the tender into thinking it
was charging the battery, and the battery was draining merrily through
the connector.  Others seem to have luck with these things, so I guess
I'm just unlucky.  Another box from a different vendor (can't remember
the name) worked well, and didn't overcharge or boil off the battery.

james montebello