GTV6 gas mileage

     I've just started noting the mpg I'm getting in my '83 gtv6 and it is
horrible! On the first tank I averaged less than 12 mpg so I disconnected
the O2 sensor to see what it would do. Now I'm getting 15 which is a great
improvement, but it seems like it should still be able to do better than
that. This is no twin-turbo 3.0 liter monster, just a mild mannered recently
rebuilt stock 2.5l beast. Granted I only have a 7 mile round trip commute
each day and seldom drive the car on weekends, but the ~12 mpg I get can't
be good. If it is I might be looking at a Suburban for a commuter vehicle ;)
     Since disconnecting the O2 sensor leaned it out I'm assuming that the
sensor must be bad. I have a replacement waiting to go in. I've checked the
timing and the coolant temp sensor recently and they both checked out ok.
What else should I check and how many miles/gal should I be getting around
town? Also, I'm getting some light backfiring on deceleration. Would this
due to the overly rich mixture?

thanks in advance,
-Obie
Tacoma, Wa.