another bellhousing question

Hi Group:

Last night I was removing parts from the Spider in an effort to replace the
cracked bellhousing.  When I tried to remove the two topmost bolts holding
the bellhousing to the block, I discovered the original bolts and nuts had
been replaced with large hex-head wood screws.  I can turn the screws, but
the holes in the block are stripped (what a surprise!) and the screws won't
back out.  I may be able to get a screwdriver under the hex-heads and apply
pressure while unscrewing them, and hopefully they'll come out that way.  I
had planned on just pulling the gearbox, while leaving the engine in place.

My question is regarding the holes in the engine block.  They have probably
been slightly enlarged by those nasty screws and the proper bolts may fit
loosely in the holes, perhaps allowing some movement.  Should I drill the
holes and insert some sleeves so the bolts fit snugly, or just not worry
about it?  The holes in the bellhousing aren't an issue, since a different
bellhousing will replace the cracked one.  Nonetheless, one cracked
bellhousing is enough for me.  Any suggestions?  It appears that the
original bellhousing may have cracked for any of several reasons;  wrong
starter bolts (i.e. no shoulder bolt), missing stud from exhaust side of
engine, and those two aforementioned loose and stripped screws.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 Spider Veloce