GTV6 Torsion Bars - They are out! - The "How-to"

I absolutely have to qualify for the most rusted-in torsion bars of all time.
I spent about 8 days forcing those puppies out.  Here is what I gleaned from
this adventure:

I finally got them out by soaking them in B'laster three times a day.  I then
banged on the bars just forward of the rear frame member.  By hitting them on
the side I figure I managed to loosen the bars and the rust a minute amount.

I then used MAPP gas and let the flame cook the bar and the frame member for
about 5 minutes.  Let the flame heat up the bar socket on the front side of
the frame member.  Cook the front more than the rear.

I then used a newly-purchased 4# hammer and banged on the FRONT end of the
torsion bar.  Yes, the Shankle instructions say insert a bolt and bang from
the back, but I bent 12 Grade 8 bolts that way (!!).  Mine finally came out
the back.  If they don't, MAPP it again.

Now, once they shoot out the back you will find that they hit the floorpan.
Get a wire brush and scrub the hell out of the splines.  I then applied
multipurpose grease LIBERALLY to the splines, inserted the bolt in the back
end of the torsion bar and banged it back through the frame member.

In doing this, I realized another very important fact with these torsion bars:
when they are not connected to the A Arms, their weight loads up their
friction inside the rear frame member.  I used extra jack stands and lifted
them close to horizontal to the frame, then banged them out.  If you think
about this, it would make sense to use those jack stands in the removal,
bang-like-hell process.

What is comes down to is equal doses of luck, patience (OK, a lot of it),
caveman mechanics, and chemicals and gases.  Good luck to anyone else going
through this test of patience.  I will now be putting in the Shankle Torsion
Bars.  From what I've heard, this is even worse! :-) or is it :-( ?

Regards,

Robert C. Savi
Principal/Architect
TechStyle Computers, Inc.