Subject: RE: cross drilled rotors BS

My .02:

From what I've seen, cross drilled rotors may help clean away the pad
surface and prevent glazing. Also, drilled rotors, even with "proper"
chamfers or fillets, seem to wear away pads a lot faster than non-drilled
rotors. There are probably other factors going on such as harder braking
(duh.) Also, I have a friend who had an "aftermarket"  cross drilled rotor
explode (made in Brazil, I think?) The drilling probably stressed the metal
around the holes, the cheapies may have been drilled after being surfaced,
and the stresses probably wouldn't have been relieved, though that's all
conjecture. There must certainly have been stress concentrations at the
holes, though. (Since there's no metal at the holes, and since the holes
are where the the rotor "let go," I think that's a pretty fair assesment!)

Slotted rotors are another subject, and probably preferable, but unless
they came from Brembo or one of the "name" manufacturers, I wouldn't run
with them. Just my opinion....